A lot of information is lost in the translation of a text from one language to another. Translating the biblical text from Hebrew (or Greek) into English not only has to account for the vast differences in syntax and idiom, but also in the thousands of years between the languages and the immense differences culture and ways of viewing the world. I will strive to address these issues in my translation. However, since I am doing this mostly as notes to myself, I will not claim to be perfect in doing this (we're all fallible). I generally try to provide a fairly literal translation, but sometimes the idioms simply make no sense in a literal translation. I will try to be consistent in this practice, but will, no doubt, switch back and forth between a literal and a "smoother" translation. It's also difficult at times to produce a "smooth" translation since Hebrew likes constructions that would run-on sentences in English. If you know the language and wish to comment, feel free to do so (but I might disagree with you). If you don't know the language and wish to comment, do so (as long a you do so politely.
I don't know if you'll find this helpful or not, but here goes...
It's really hard to punctuate translation-English.
ReplyDelete